One of our favorite things to do at Apple Hill Orchard and Cider Mill is to teach others how apples are grown – especially children. We’ve been doing our fall tour for over 25 years! We have a wonderful staff that loves children and enjoys teaching about our orchard and how it operates. The interactive lessons we provide help teachers meet the educational objectives of their curriculum in a fun and exciting way.
- A covered wagon ride through the orchard and farm
- A lesson on bees, pollination, and honey production
- Apple and cider tasting
- A visit to the apple cold storage room
- A visit to the Cider Mill
- View apples being sorted on the apple grading line
- A lesson on how apples are grown and harvested
- A quarter peck bag of apples (each student is allowed to choose their apples from large apple bins)
- Memories of a fun day
Educational Tours are offered any weekday in September and October with the exception of Labor Day.
Teachers and parents may visit our Country Store (students are allowed to shop if given permission by teachers and parents).
Clean indoor restrooms and a hand washing station are available for tour groups to use.
The Apple Pickin’ Picnic Shelter is available for a picnic lunch. The Picnic Shelter must be reserved when you book your tour.
We’ve begun accepting tour requests for the Fall 2019 season!
Please complete our Online Tour Reservation Form.
Reservations may also be made by calling our store Monday through Thursday from 1-5pm (828) 437-1224; or by emailing directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tours cannot be booked by phone on Fridays or Saturdays.
Educational Tour Policies
- Tours begin at 9:30 and 11:00 a.m. Please arrive early and allow ample time to check-in and use the restroom if needed. If you are late your tour time may be shortened – we must be respectful of other groups.
- The Apple Pickin’ Picnic Shelter can accommodate 125 people. You may need to share the shelter with others.
- We encourage schools to keep their reservations unless there are heavy rains. Please call the orchard at 437-1224 the morning of your tour to check on our weather conditions. The majority of the tour is under roof – including the wagon ride. If you must cancel, we will work to reschedule your group.
- Homeschool groups are welcome. We do ask for a minimum group size of 15 but can often accommodate smaller groups by combing with others.
- Children cannot go on the tour without adult supervision.
Comments From Schools
“Fantastic job again this year!” – Hudson Elementary
“As always we greatly enjoyed our visit. Your staff is so great with our class.” – West Marion Elementary
“This is a wonderful field trip. Thanks for all you do!” – Marion Elementary
“You were very kind to us and we appreciate it. The ‘bee lady’ was excellent. The ‘tractor lady’ was great as well!” – Granite Falls Elementary