½ cup margarine
|1 ½ cups chopped nuts
4 cups finely chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.
- Sift together dry ingredients and spices.
- Add to egg mixture.*
- Stir in apples and nuts.
- Bake in greased 9″ x 13″ pan at 325° for approximately 40–45 minutes.
* The egg mixture will seem dry, but the apples make it moist as it bakes.
- Combine all the topping ingredients in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 _ teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Pour over warm cake in the pan.